Nov 01 2009

Pittsburgh Pete has a home!

Published by at 6:57 am under Peregrines

Pittsburgh Pete with Judy Bailey (photo from Judy Bailey)

If you've been watching this blog for a while, you know that one of Pittsburgh's peregrine falcon "sons" has spent the past 11 months in rehab.  Now, at last, Pittsburgh Pete has a permanent home.  This is quite a victory for Pete, and for Judy Bailey who rescued him.

Pete (black/green 3/K) was born at the Gulf Tower in 2006 and nested successfully at the Burlington Lift Bridge in 2008 but he was seriously injured in a battle with a rival that June.  Pete seemed to recover on his own but was found grounded and unable to fly in November 2008.

Since then Pete has been in the care of Judy Bailey, pictured with him here.  Judy is an Animal Control Officer in Hamilton so she could nurse him back to health but is not licensed to keep him.  When it was determined last May that Pete's seizures prevented him from being released into the wild, Judy had to find him a permanent home.  Otherwise he would die. 

Over the summer Mountsberg Raptor Centre in Campbellville, Ontario offered to take Pete as an educational bird if he could sit quietly on the glove and tolerate people near him in an educational setting.  Pete didn't know these skills so Judy trained him.  Thanks to her hard work and Pete's ability to learn, he went to his permanent home at the Raptor Centre in late October.  Mountsberg is excited to have him.

Hooray for Pete and a big thank you to Judy Bailey!  She really is Pete's guardian angel.

For more information on Pittsburgh Pete's injury and recovery, see my blogs on August 5, 2008, December 4, 2008 and August 14, 2009.

(photo from Judy Bailey)

11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Pittsburgh Pete has a home!”

  1. Kristenon 01 Nov 2009 at 1:44 pm


  2. Vicki & Chuckon 01 Nov 2009 at 7:01 pm

    Yay Judy!!!! Yay Pete!!!! Our hearts are warmed.

  3. janniceon 01 Nov 2009 at 10:39 pm

    This is wonderful news A great big Thank You to all that had a helping hand in this
    wonderful Falcons recovery and new home

  4. Kittyon 02 Nov 2009 at 10:27 am

    At last, good news!! After the news of one of the Pitt birds being found dead, this is joyous news that Pittsburgh Pete has recovered and has a new home. I love happy endings!

  5. Kathy from Torontoon 03 Nov 2009 at 5:25 pm

    What wonderful news! Thank you so much Kate for keeping all Pete’s fans updated on his progess, thank you to Judy Bailey for caring for him and never giving up on him and thank you to the MRC for providing him with a home. I will definitely be going to visit him in his new home!

  6. Bethon 04 Nov 2009 at 5:11 pm

    Thank you for sharing that wonderful news, Kate! I am sure he will enjoy his new home in the North!

  7. Sharon Whiteon 09 Nov 2009 at 8:55 pm

    Hi Kate

    Just wanted to say thank you along with everyone else for helping Pete.
    I had the great pleasure of photographing Pete this past Sunday. Ten people from a flickr group got together and went to Mountsberg for a photo shoot.
    Pete is doing well and was quite social with us. Thank goodness for people like you!

    Sharon White

  8. Kate St. Johnon 10 Nov 2009 at 6:48 am

    Let me know the link(s) to Pete’s Flicker photos and I’ll post another update on him!

  9. Sue McCreadieon 13 Nov 2009 at 6:38 pm

    Thank you so much Judy for your hard work. As a Burlington Lift Bridge falconwatcher, my husband and I will be out to see Pete soon.

  10. Teresa Boydon 13 Nov 2009 at 11:49 pm

    Judy, my husband Rick & myself enjoyed many many days watching Pete at the Burlington Lift Bridge. We were so heart broken when he was injured, but now that he has you taking care of him it’s wonderful!!! Thank you for your time & effort that you have given to our friend Pete. We hope he can teach many people all about his species of birds.

  11. Kate St. Johnon 20 Jan 2012 at 9:28 am

    Update from Amy Fennell, 9 January 2012: “Pittsburgh Pete recently passed away under medical care at the OVC. He had not had a seizure in almost a year, and we were very pleased with his progress. We are all very sad at his passing and I know how hard you worked with him. We’re still waiting for the final necropsy report, but visceral gout appears to be the cause.”

Comments RSS

Leave a Reply