May 25 2010
It’s my favorite time of year when the nestlings learn to fly. I’ll be at Schenley Plaza gazing at the top of the Cathedral of Learning, watching peregrines.
Want to see them too? Come join me!
We’ll see them stand on the railing and flap like crazy. If we’re lucky, we’ll see their parents give flying demonstrations. If we’re really lucky, we’ll see a young bird make its first flight, just like this video from Stephen Tirone.
And no matter what we’ll swap stories and talk about peregrines.
Meet me at the tent at any of these dates and times, weather permitting. (The peregrines won’t fledge in steady rain and I won’t be there either.)
- Friday May 28, noon to 2:15pm. Kick off the Memorial Day Weekend with peregrine fun.
- Saturday May 29, 8:00am to 11:00am. I’ll stay until noon if I know you’re coming!
- Tuesday June 1, noon to 2:15pm. This is the Rain Date for Friday May 28, but I’ll be at Schenley Plaza on June 1st even if it didn’t rain on Friday.
- Wednesday and Thursday June 2 & 3, 1:00pm to 2:15pm.
- I am likely to be at the tent after work on Tuesday June 1 and Thursday June 3. Stay tuned for confirmation of the after-work times.
p.s. Check the newest Peregrine FAQ that describes what you’ll see — and not see — on camera as the young peregrines leave the nest.
(photo of the Schenley Plaza tent by Kate St. John)