Whose curly-headed baby bird is this?
Here are some hints:
- He is on an island in the Pacific Ocean.
- His species is critically endangered because 99.9% of them nest this island only.
- His parents built no nest. His mother laid his egg on bare ground.
- It took two months for this baby to hatch, then six more months before he can fly.
- His parents feed him regurgitated oil derived from fish, squid and crustaceans.
- Sometimes he must wait a long time between feedings because his parents travel 6 to 60 miles to find food.
- He is one of 22 species in this family of birds (species count from BirdLife International).
- A famous poem tells us it's very bad luck to kill this type of bird.
Do you know who he is? Leave a comment with your answer.
UPDATE at 9:45am: Most of you guessed the family of birds correctly. Can any of you guess the exact species? Hint: This is a tropical island.
(photo by Deborah Acklin)