Dec 27 2011

Sandhill Cranes in Pennsylvania

Published by at 7:31 am under Cranes

Now that you know how to recognize cranes (see the crane quiz), here’s a Game Commission video about the sandhill crane population in Pennsylvania with some really cute footage of a baby crane being banded.

(video from the Pennsylvania Game Commission)

14 Responses to “Sandhill Cranes in Pennsylvania”

1. sharon leadbitteron 28 Dec 2011 at 9:07 am

I think my cute-o-meter just had a meltdown …….. BLAAAUUUGGHH!!! (passes out from cuteness) :-)

I also wonder how long before we see them in SW Pa … the Blue Herons have moved back in … I guess it’s just a matter of time

2. Susan Haaseon 13 Feb 2013 at 12:09 pm

I just recently found out through an acquaintance that Sandhills have been nesting near Dushore, PA. I’ve seen them out West, but had no idea they could be found in the East. A new horizon, just like the Bald Eagles in the Susquehanna River area that can be viewed fishing and raising their young.
    When do the Sandhill cranes usually arrive in PA?

3. Kate St. Johnon 13 Feb 2013 at 3:12 pm

I’m not sure about the sandhills’ return date because a few are seen in northwestern PA throughout the winter. 23 were in Crawford County in late December. Another was seen near Linesville on Feb 9. Use the search box on this website to find species in PA.

4. Brian Keenyon 17 Apr 2013 at 10:07 pm

Have we ever seen any around East Central PA, near Blue Marsh Lake, or in Berks County at any time ?

5. Kate St. Johnon 18 Apr 2013 at 5:54 am

Brian, in Pennsylvania, sandhill cranes are mostly reported in the western part of the state though in small numbers. One crane has been a winter regular at Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area (Lebanon/Lancaster Counties), a few stop by Wyoming County in March and one was seen recently at Green Pond in Northampton County. They are very rare in eastern PA though during migration (late March, early April) a few may be found almost anywhere in their preferred habitat.

Check for sightings. Click on Explore Data > Range and Point Maps > enter “Sandhill Crane” for the species and zoom in.

6. Greg Vannoon 30 Jun 2013 at 9:37 am

Sandhill crane Honey Brook, PA 9:00 AM. Circled Brandywine preserve (West branch, Brandywine Creek) about 100 feet above the ground.

Flew NNE towards Struble Lake.

7. Joann Curranon 26 Mar 2014 at 2:21 am

I believe that we saw a pair of sandhill cranes today in Slippery Rock Township, Lawrence County, PA. They were a pair and were in a popular spring nesting place for Canadian geese and some wild ducks. Their plumage blended in perfectly with the cattails and dry grasses.

8. Tharinaon 10 Jun 2014 at 9:22 pm

We have had a sandhill crane living in our neighborhood for years! At least 5 years. It is massive and always startles us. We live just north of pittsburgh in cranberry township. Neat to know they are around!

9. Kate St. Johnon 10 Jun 2014 at 9:28 pm

Tharina, do you have a creek, pond or lake in your neighborhood? If so your crane might be a great blue heron. Check the photos at this link.
    I’m sure one of them is your crane… but which one?

10. Kerry Con 06 Dec 2014 at 8:11 pm

Large flock (20-30)of Sandhill Cranes in fields located Plainview, Lawrence County, along Plainview Rd/Golf Course Rd.

11. Kristine Druckenmilleron 31 Mar 2015 at 9:20 am

I think I saw one adult this morning in the very shallow tiny creek behind my home in down town Slippery Rock (Butler County) on March 31 2015. It did not look like an egret but it did appear to be all a dove gray color with a black mark near the eye. When it flew into a tree in the woods near by the wing feathers looked almost black. The day is really dark and overcast so coloring may look different to me because of the overcast lighting I suppose. Does my description sound possible for this bird? I have lived in this area all my life and never seen one before.

12. Kate St. Johnon 31 Mar 2015 at 9:32 am

Kristine, I think the bird you saw was a great blue heron. They perch in trees, sandhill cranes don’t. (Amazing, isn’t it?) The great blue heron easily looks gray in poor light and he has a black stripe near his eye. Here are pictures of both: The great blue is #1, the sandhill is #3
    And here’s a picture of a gray-looking great blue heron:
    I hope this helps.

13. Janice Weston 05 Oct 2015 at 3:40 pm

We saw four sandhill cranes today in the Grasslands off US Route 19 near Leesburg PA. Have never seen them in this area, is today’s sighting unusual?
    Jan W

14. Kate St. Johnon 05 Oct 2015 at 4:02 pm

Janice, a flock of sandhill cranes lives near there. I sometimes see them flying near Old Ash Rd.