3 March 2012
Yesterday on my walk to work I noticed the treetops seem to have thickened.
They have! Through binoculars I could see that the buds are swelling and the twigs look thicker.
Spring is coming faster than usual. Here are some of its many signs on 2 March 2012:
- Red maples are flowering.
- Honeysuckle bushes have tiny green leaves peeking out of their buds.
- Pussy willows have furry catkins.
- The seed balls on London plane trees are breaking up into fluffy achenes.
- Celandine and garlic mustard are sprouting green leaves.
Marcy Cunkelman’s flowering quince was about to bloom last Tuesday, 28 February 2012. Maybe it has by now, just in time for tomorrow’s snow showers.
This March would like to come in like a lion but winter’s been a lamb.
(photo by Marcy Cunkelman)
2 thoughts on “Signs Of An Early Spring”
Witch Hazel is blooming.
Have had a couple of red-winged blackbirds at the feeders for a few days too.