Crack open your field guides!
Today’s quiz is: Identify this enormous acorn.
Here are some of its characteristics:
- The acorns are huge, the largest acorns native to North America. The cups measure 1.25″ across.
- The outside has a rough diamond pattern with a fringe at the edge.
- The inside of the cup is smooth.
- The acorn itself is dark brown at this time of year (see last photo).
- This oak is in the white oak family.
- I found them in Schenley Park.
Here’s a close-up of the cups…
…and an acorn inside the cup.
Do you know what species this is?
Leave a comment with your answer.
UPDATE: The answer is bur oak, aka mossy-cup oak (Quercus macrocarpa).
(photos by Kate St. John)