Today, a quiz! What is this?
- Six of us found these unusual starbursts sticking out of the ground at Wolf Creek Narrows, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania on October 14.
- The starburst measures 1.25 inches across.
- The stalk stands a foot tall.
- There are no leaves on the stalk nor at the base of the stalk.
- Each tip ends in a shiny black bead. (Some of the beads fell off my specimen.)
- A Google image search on this photo results in pictures of jewelry. 🙂
Bonus Question: What U.S. city is named for this plant?
Leave a comment with your answer. After you’ve had a chance to vote I’ll post the answer in the Comments.
(photo by Kate St. John)