Mar 15 2017

First Peregrine Egg at Pitt

Published by at 7:46 am under Peregrines

Hope appreas to be looking at her first egg of 2017 (photo from National Aviary falconcam at Univ of Pittsburgh)

Hope looking at her first egg of 2017, 15 Mar 6:35am (photo from National Aviary falconcam at Univ of Pittsburgh)

Early this morning it looked like Hope has laid her first egg of 2017 this morning around 6:30am.  We waited for her to stand up … just to be sure.

How did I guess that she had an egg?  Because she’s lying flat on the scrape to keep it warm on this 14oF morning!

Hope is keeping something warm in the nest ... the first egg, 15 Mar 2017 (photo from the Naitonal Aviary snapshot cam at Univ of Pittsburgh)

Hope is keeping something warm in the nest … the first egg, 15 Mar 2017 (photo from the Naitonal Aviary snapshot cam at Univ of Pittsburgh)

Click here to watch her on the National Aviary falconcam at the Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh.

(photo from National Aviary falconcam at Univ. of Pittsburgh)

46 Responses to “First Peregrine Egg at Pitt”

1. Kristenon 15 Mar 2017 at 7:52 am

I just caught I glimpse of it at 7:50 while she as adjusting. The first egg at the cathedral has arrived 🙂

2. Michelle Oon 15 Mar 2017 at 7:57 am

I saw the egg this morning. I took a screenshot of it but am too stupid to figure out how to post it here. Super excited!

3. Patsyon 15 Mar 2017 at 8:04 am

It will be nice to have both of the peregrines on camera this year. Hopefully all goes well.

4. Janeton 15 Mar 2017 at 9:38 am

So happy for Hope and Terzo!! Let’s hope this year she doesn’t do anything that we are scratching our heads about.

5. Mary Ann Pikeon 15 Mar 2017 at 10:41 am

Hello Kate,
    Your server was not reachable a couple of hours ago, and since it’s come back, I’m not seeing an image from the CL snapshot camera. GT snapshot is fine. Wasn’t sure if you knew about it.

6. bev.on 15 Mar 2017 at 12:01 pm

am concerned that i have not seen Tersz on cam for 2 days

7. bev.on 15 Mar 2017 at 12:03 pm

there is a lot we do not know about nature and it is not as simple as it seems . there are always reasons why they do what they do. but that is the mystery of nature

8. Karenon 15 Mar 2017 at 1:14 pm

So is the nature of some humans. They do things that have no justifiable reason.

9. Carol D.on 15 Mar 2017 at 1:57 pm

I was also starting to get concerned because Terzo hasn’t been around since Monday evening, but he finally showed up today at 13:54 cam time and him and Hope have been bowing and chirping over the new egg for at least 4 minutes now!

10. Janet Campagnaon 15 Mar 2017 at 2:03 pm

2 birds squawking up a storm at 14:02.

11. Joon 15 Mar 2017 at 2:11 pm

for the past fifteen minutes (1:55-present) Terzo and hope have been having an earnest conversation at the nest with the egg between them. “Who is going to sit on this?”

12. Nellie Curranon 15 Mar 2017 at 2:12 pm

Both Hope and Terzo are bowing in the nest right now 2:12 pm. She is showing him the egg!!!!

13. joon 15 Mar 2017 at 2:19 pm

Since 1:55 they continue to have loud conversation with egg between them…this lasted fifteen minutes. Now Terzo comes and goes but Hope is still just staring at the egg but not sitting on it. If it is as cold in PGH as it is in rochester, that little egg will turn into eggcicle! I hear Terzo screeching and wonder if there is another peregrine out there somewhere….

Saga continues. Perhaps Hope is yelling that it is his turn to sit on the egg!

14. Kate St. Johnon 15 Mar 2017 at 2:27 pm

Hello all, there are only 2 peregrines at Pitt right now. Hope continues to shout at Terzo whenever he perches above her & looks at her. I have no idea why she shouts so much. She is unusual in many ways.

15. Mary Kateon 15 Mar 2017 at 2:35 pm

Hooray for an egg at Pitt. Poor Terzo. He needs a little set of earbuds-noise canceling!!

16. Nicole Branton 15 Mar 2017 at 2:38 pm

This is a unusual question but can people at the University hear her calling out. She’s so loud. I love watching them just curious.

17. Janeton 15 Mar 2017 at 3:09 pm

Kate, it looks like Terzo in the scrape now. The white line that I see, it that a Crack in the egg? I hope not. Thanks

18. Kate St. Johnon 15 Mar 2017 at 3:09 pm

Oh yes, Nicole. People inside the building can hear it.

19. joon 15 Mar 2017 at 3:24 pm

They were off the egg for over 40 minutes….how long in cold weather before it may not be viable (freeze)? Does anyone know?

20. Kamaon 15 Mar 2017 at 3:42 pm

Nicole – I work in the Cathedral, and I could hear them loud and clear. It prompted me to check out the live stream to see what was going on.

21. Nicole Branton 15 Mar 2017 at 3:50 pm

Thanks how exciting it is to watch these birds.

22. Mary Ann Pikeon 15 Mar 2017 at 4:32 pm

I’ve been watching the gulf tower nest on the snapshot cam (CL snapshot cam is up again also) and I think I might have seen 4 eggs while Dori was standing over them after the exchange just now. It’s hard to be sure since I didn’t see them without one of the parents standing over them.

23. Kate St. Johnon 15 Mar 2017 at 4:48 pm

Mary Ann, I’ve heard that there are indeed 4 eggs, seen around 10:20 this morning. Eventually I’ll find out when the 4th was laid.

24. Kate St. Johnon 15 Mar 2017 at 4:53 pm

Jo, until they begun incubation (which will be several days from now) they can be off the egg just as long as it doesn’t freeze. How long that freezing is so variable (starting temperature of the egg,, microclimate in the scrape, sunshine, wind, etc., etc.). No one can answer that question.

25. Peter Bellon 15 Mar 2017 at 6:00 pm

Nicole,

The week before springbreak I could hear Hope (presumably) calling from all the way behind Soldiers and Sailors Hall and as far west as the Towers. She’s easy to hear when she wants to be and we can hear her all over campus if you know what to listen for. She’s so loud you can hear her over all the traffic even!

26. Nicole Branton 15 Mar 2017 at 8:22 pm

Thanks I live over an hour away but would love to come down to listen.

27. Carol D.on 16 Mar 2017 at 12:25 pm

There is an unbanded female at Pitt sitting by the egg. Cam time 12:26 pm. It’s not Hope. Terzo just flew off

28. Kate St. Johnon 16 Mar 2017 at 1:01 pm

Thanks for telling me,Carol D. Yes there was! I can see it in the motion detection snapshots.

29. bev.on 16 Mar 2017 at 1:33 pm

I am concerned for Hope. egg is fine, I like this girl.

and loud kaking again

definitely problems. hope someone checks from ground

30. Sue ramseyon 16 Mar 2017 at 1:56 pm

The nest drama continues for this site. Havent noticed Hope back on nest lately. Wound like to see egg 2 laid so she can begin to incubate. Nice that dori has 4 eggs to incubate now. She will have her hands full. Harrisburgh PA falcon is in snow incubating but hopefully weather will improve for them. These birds are so interesting and definitely intriguing.

31. Joyceon 16 Mar 2017 at 3:13 pm

Hope’s first egg has been left alone a lot. I hope she’s a better mom than she was last year!

32. Janeton 16 Mar 2017 at 5:25 pm

Kate, have you or anyone else seen Hope today? Thanks

33. Kate St. Johnon 16 Mar 2017 at 5:50 pm

Janet, she’s been at the nest since mid afternoon and Terzo brought food for her at 4:35pm.

34. Janeton 16 Mar 2017 at 6:37 pm

Thanks kate,I thought that was Terzo. Glad to see she is ok. I really like her alot.

35. bev.on 16 Mar 2017 at 8:45 pm

I was glad to finally see Terzo bring a gift. falcons are migrating right now. this could have been a young bird migrating and saw Terzo and that drew her in.

HOpe is a great mom. she stayed with those eggs last year when she was all by herself. We cannot assume to know what happened last year , but I have seen it at northern nests. Only they know why.

so glad all is quiet now

36. Joyceon 17 Mar 2017 at 1:32 pm

Wonder if Hope’s egg will be viable being left uncovered so much in the cold.

37. Kate St. Johnon 17 Mar 2017 at 1:45 pm

Joyce, the egg will be fine prior to incubation if it doesn’t freeze. Today is above freezing.

38. Joyceon 17 Mar 2017 at 2:16 pm

39. Jenniferon 17 Mar 2017 at 6:09 pm

Hope had her second egg at 6:08!

40. Joyceon 17 Mar 2017 at 7:29 pm

I see Hope had her second egg. ?

41. LuAnnon 20 Mar 2017 at 10:35 am

Three eggs for Hope!

42. Sue ramseyon 20 Mar 2017 at 10:37 am

Third egg now. Wow. Hope they are up to caring for a big brood. They are going to be busy this year. Fingers crossed that there will be no drama. Mom and dad are such beautiful birds.

43. Mary Ann Pikeon 20 Mar 2017 at 3:58 pm

At around 3:45 today, both parents were off the GT nest and it looks to me like there are now 5 eggs there.

44. Kate St. Johnon 20 Mar 2017 at 4:04 pm

Mary Ann, cam viewers figured out she probably laid that 5th egg before dawn on Friday. It took this long for us to notice.

45. LuAnnon 24 Mar 2017 at 1:41 pm

Hope has 4 eggs now! Looks like both nests are going to have a full house!

46. Maryon 24 Mar 2017 at 6:10 pm

gosh, hope with 4 eggs…maybe she will do better this year.